Saturday, August 09, 2014

Vancouver Event: Burnaby Blues and Roots Festival at Deer Lake Park

Hello Vancity Girlfriends,

It's a sunny summer afternoon and festivals are all around!  I've never been to a music festival before so I jumped at the chance to experience the festival when Delta Hotel Burnaby tweeted me to let me know that I won 2 tickets to the Burnaby Blues and Roots Festival at Deer Lake Park.   

Luckily on the Burnaby Blues and Roots Festival website they had a section on "How to Prepare" for your festival experience.  I brought a lightweight pack with my sunscreen, hand sanitizer, blanket, and water bottle.  Of course I wore my sunhat to tackle help fend off the sunshine.  






There were three stages set up at Deer Lake Park, the Main Stage, and two smaller stages called Westwood Stage and Garden Stage.  After the main stage act, the two other stages would simultaneously have two other bands play and then another main stage big attraction would play.  It was nonstop music at the festival.  The festival was from 1-10pm with the gates opening at noon.  I arrived around 1:30pm and stayed for 6 hours.  



 It was a fabulous day with bright sunshine and I was searching for shade.  At the Burnaby Blues and Roots festival I found that you don't need to be close to the stage to hear the music.  The sounds bounced from the speakers through the open air.  They also had two large big screens on either side of the main stage where you could see the acts.  

It was a good first experience at a music festival but after 6 hours I had hit my limit of sunshine even with sunscreen, sunhat, and refills of my water bottle.  Even though there was a misting tent and shaded tent, as you can see there were a LOT of people and you can't hide from the afternoon sun!  Music festivals are great for people watching too!  I'm glad I explored the Burnaby Blues and Roots festival and my favourite performances of the afternoon were Imelda May and Bettye LaVette.  Memorable performances!  


Next year you can check it out!  




No comments:

Post a Comment