Saturday, September 27, 2014

Crafternoon: Spool of Thread Sewing Lounge - Reversible Tote Bag

Hello Vancity Girlfriends,

I love learning new crafts, perhaps it is old fashioned, but I feel crafting is artistic, creative, and can be a lost art.  Now a year ago or maybe more, a colleague told me about the Spool of Thread Sewing Lounge in Vancouver.  Of course I do what I normally do, which is ponder, and wonder and not take any action even though the idea of learning how to sew sparked my interest.  A year later and a new colleague has finished taking the tote bag class there.  WOW!  

Did I really procrastinate for over a year?  I had looked at their class schedule on their website hundreds of time.  Finally, I bit the bullet and decided to take the Spool of Thread Tote Bag class in August.  It is a beginner class that reviews the basics of how to thread a sewing machine and make a very cool and chic reversible cotton tote bag. 

Spool of Thread made sewing seem easy and fun!   And best of all you come out of the class with a finished product, pattern and instructions so you can make it again.  Now that is worth the class fee of $40 for a three hour class.  There are seven spaces in a class so you there is individualized attention no matter what your sewing level is.
Spool of Thread Tote Bag #1

Spool of Thread Class Schedule

Taking this tote bag class did not spark, but ignited my interest in sewing.  I dug out our antique sewing machine to make more reversible tote bags.  The last time I took a sewing class, I forget how to make what I made in class because I did not try it at home.  I did not want this to happen to me again especially since I paid around $70 for the class including around $30 for my supplies of fabric and thread.  Of course, you can be more organized and bring your own to keep your cost down.  After a year of procrastinating, I did not want to lose my new skill.

This is my first reversible tote bag from the class which I will keep and cherish.  But I did not stop with just one.  

Tote Bag #2 - Pears Please







Tote Bag #2
Here's the second tote bag that I made using fabric that I bought in the states from Joanne's Fabrics.  Pears for my friend, Vicky's, September birthday.








Tote Bag #3 - Pears and Apples





Tote Bag #3

Another birthday tote bag was for my friend Christen's September birthday. 

The Pears and Apples fabric is from Joanne's Fabrics.  

I made the tote bag challenge for myself to see how many I will make.  There are so many fun cotton fabrics to play with.  The idea began because when I was stocking up on fabric at Joann's Fabrics when I was asked me, "How many are you going to make?  100".  I replied "Yes!".  What was a fun question has turned into a tote bag challenge for myself.   Follow me here for the #Totebagchallenge.  

Thanks for reading and come back again to see how I am doing with my tote bag challenge!  

No comments:

Post a Comment