Saturday, November 07, 2015

Vancouver Event: Science World Body Worlds Animals Inside Out

Hello Vancity Girlfriends,

Today was my day to be an auntie and take my seven year old niece on an adventure to Science World.  I'm the auntie who takes transit and the adventure began by getting on a bus to the skytrain.  Wow!  Who knew that taking the skytrain could be a treat!

It was also exciting that the stop that we got off at Main Street Science World was minutes away from the main attraction.  We didn't have to spend too much time in the rain and puddles.  However, we were prepared with our umbrellas that almost flew away and our rain jackets and rain boots.  

I have to admit that I wasn't sure if Body Worlds Animals Inside Out would be appropriate for kids, but I think the warning labels were there just to scare me.  I thought I'd just ask my niece who saw the picture of the stripped down goat and said "Sure, let's go".  Of course she also said in the same breath, I saw "Inside Out" in the theatre.  Well, it wasn't going to be like the movie, that's for sure.  

Body World Animals Inside Out Giraffe
I secretly was excited to be going to Body Worlds Animals Inside Out so we went to that special limited time only exhibit first.  We received an Ostrich stamp because then we could go in and out of the exhibit freely.  When we first stepped in they showed us an arm that was plastinated and explained how plastination worked before we saw the animals for themselves.  Initially there were squid, fish, and sharks.  In one box was a dark red heart that attracted my niece, then she asked "What it is?" and I read "A shark's heart" from the label.  She took a look and instead of being scared, she pointed to the shark in a nearby cage and said "There's the shark."  Ahh, I don't need to be scared when I have my niece to take me around to learn more about the anatomy and physiology of animals.  She really did take me through the exhibit which was fascinating and unique.  

Body Worlds:  Animals Inside Out is at Science World in Vancouver until March 2016.  It's worth taking a look if you have the chance and great to go with kids.  We spent a full afternoon at Science World!  After the Body Worlds Animals Inside Out exhibit, we explored other exhibits including the Living Lab, Body Works, Sustainable World, and even watched the Toys Science Show.  The best was that this was a memory that I now share with my niece.  I love the gift of quality time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment