Sunday, November 06, 2016

Vancouver Event: MEC Grand Banana in Stanley Park

National Blog Posting Month in November
Daily blog challenge
#NaBloPoMo Day 6 - MEC Grand Banana Running Series

Mountain Equipment Co-op started its own MEC Running Series that are chip timed races throughout the year to keep people motivated to keep training and running at an affordable rate.  It's the no frills of running races.  That is exactly why it appealed to me.  I definitely need motivation to go outside in the winter and to get in shape.  Luckily I found a friend who was willing to go with me otherwise I would have stayed in bed.  Like I said I need motivation!

The meeting place was at Devonian Park at the end of Georgia and Denman Street.  Parking was difficult to find but we found a lot beside White Spot on Georgia St.  Then we ran to get registered and ready for the race.  The leaves on the trees were all a beautiful orange red and there were booths that you would normally find at other races.  They had Kind Bars, smoothie samples, massage, Starbucks coffee and treats, refillable water and energy drink, and bananas after the race.  


We joined the MEC Grand Banana 10KM race around Stanley Park.  The route followed the seawall and it was picture perfect.  Perhaps this stopped me from getting a better time since I was taking pictures of the fall scenery.  Actually let's be real, I didn't train for the race at all.  The route was clearly marked and I went my own pace with running and walking.  Best part was knowing that I was doing something good for my health and my body agreed!  MEC has their running series every year so watch out for their running race series in 2017! 



No comments:

Post a Comment