Sunday, January 01, 2017

New Year's Resolution: Minamalism


Happy New Year!  It's a new year and a new word.  Instead of a new year's resolution, my word for 2017 is MINAMALISM.  I'm hoping this word motivate me the whole year through and make me stay true to my values.

This is inspired by the documentary Minamalism on Netflix and my own values on living a simple life.  I love the Minamalists definition.


"Minimalism is a tool to rid yourself of life’s excess in favor of focusing on what’s important—so you can find happiness, fulfillment, and freedom." 


My journey with declutting began years ago but I feel that finally I am close to achieving the "why" of the minamalist lifestyle.  Due to financial constraints I have already been anti-consumerism and have reduced my spending tremendously over the past six months on material "things" or "possessions."  

The key for me in the new year 2017 is to truly continue the minamalist lifestyle.  To continue to let go of things of the past so I can live in the present.  To bring to life the gift giving of memories and experiences instead of "gifts".  This has been difficult for me because of the values that others hold on brand names or material possessions.  The hardest part is to be able to socialize and hang out with friends who do not share this lifestyle and yet still be able to enjoy the "window shopping" and not be tempted by the shopping malls.  

What does this mean for me?

- simplifying life 
- living with minamalist values
- focusing on quality time and experiences
- creating memories
- willingness to let go of possessions
- caring for my parents
- nurturing my self care 
- taking care of my health
- be happy and well

I'll continue to write about my minamalism journey with Minamailism Monday.  To share my decluttering tips, ways to let go, and books that have inspired me.  I am quite excited and hope you are too as I embark on this new year!



5 comments:

  1. Very worthwhile word choice! Happy New Year and all the best in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Minimalism seems to be every one's favourite word, including mine. Wish you a happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to get into that mindset great word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Minimalism is sure to bring you some Freedom this year!Enjoy! We Canadian ladies seem to be on the same path, I chose Simplify! Nice to see your blog site, I'll have to check out some of your favourite restaurants when we're in Van.

    ReplyDelete