Wednesday, August 14, 2013

DIY Crafts: Whimseybox Wednesday

Whimseybox is a monthy subscription craft box!  Last month I received my very first box which is to make a Geo-Planter or Candle holder with fast drying cement.  

I waited on this craft until there was a girl ready to be entertained in the house.  It seemed easy enough.  Cut out the geometric shape and glue it together.  Stir the cement mixture with water and pour into the shape.  Bang the mixture so it will set smooth.  Let sit for a minimum of 30 minutes and then tear the paper from the cement.  


So what did I not know about this craft?  The cement mixture will start to react with the water and become difficult to stir because it is setting.  I was to add enough water for peanut butter consistency.  Mine was a bit too wet so when I poured it, it started to slowly seep out the sides.  (Know your peanut butter).  The most important step that I omitted above was to OIL the paper mold before pouring the cement. (Otherwise your paper will stick to the cement candle holder).

I followed most of the instructions but mine definitely did not turn out the way it looked in the photo!  

What did I learn?  The girl who I was crafting with thought it was the most beautiful thing in the world!  She decorated it with Japanese washi tape and did not care that the edges were not smooth.  It gave it a unique, creative look!  Kids know how to look at the bright side of life!


Get $5 off your first Whimseybox with my referral link

No comments:

Post a Comment