Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Travel Tuesday to Small Town Smithers

Hello Vancity Girlfriends,

I grew up in a small town in beautiful British Columbia.  Even though that was almost forty years ago, it has a special place in my heart.  When I have an opportunity to return to visit old childhood friends, I will cash in my Airmiles points for a plane ride back to my hometown, Smithers, BC.  

Smithers, BC is a small town of 5,000 people.  It is in a valley between mountains and has one main street where most of the shops are.  Nowadays the highway name brand restaurants and stores are popping up and there is a Boston Pizza, Subway, Starbucks, Sportscheck, and A&W as you would find in the city.  

Every few years my second family calls me back to visit and I return happily.  I love the country and the small town feel.  I miss it after living in the city for so long.  I am a country girl at heart.  I love the peacefulness and the quiet country road.  I spent a self made 4 day long weekend in Smithers, BC and I loved every minute. 

The first day we went up to Hudson Bay Mountain to look for a snowy patch in June and found one.  Then I was chasing a mother grouse and her chicks off the country road so the truck could pass by without anyone getting hurt.  I was flapping my arms around like a grouse because after the chicks got off the road, a few started coming back.  During my stay I went to Driftwood Canyon Fossil Beds and saw hummingbirds, woodpeckers, chickadees, and bluejays.  Aside from the birds I saw three deer on the road during my morning walks.  There is a peacefulness about being in the country, the fresh air, the stillness.  

The town itself looks like a Swiss Alpine village along Main Street and the Hudson Bay Mountain is picturesque.  It's like a postcard every time I go back.  








No comments:

Post a Comment