Friday, October 23, 2015

Fitness Friday - Oxygent Yoga Killarney

Hello Vancity Girlfriends,

When I first heard of Oxygen Hot Yoga, I cringed inside.  Let me tell you a bit about my first hot yoga experience at Bikram's Hot Yoga.  I decided to try it out to see what hot yoga was all about and it was definitely not a traditional zen yoga class.  The room was very hot and the instructor and rules were strict.  I was not a yoga guru so after the class, I was happy that I survived or I thought I had survived.  Instead I ended up getting a cold like flu symptoms and that didn't go away for an entire month.  Perhaps the heat brings out the toxins and it was releasing.  I'm not sure what happened, but after that experience, others would even remind me to not go to hot yoga.

Then years later a colleague started talking about Oxygen Yoga which was a new infrared hot yoga.  He talked and talked and talk because he was a yoga guru and loved Oxygen Yoga.  I still didn't think to go because the location was not close to my house.  

Time passes on and my girlfriend invites me to a free Oxygen Yoga Killarney class that was within walking distance of my house.  A free class?  I had nothing to lose so I went with her to a Hot Yoga Deep Stretch class with Carlene.  The studio was small but the instructor gave me a yoga mat to use and she started her class by letting us know where the exit doors were and invited everyone to take breaks and to escape if need be.  WOW!  That was a completely different experience.  I had done yoga before but doing hot yoga in an infrared studio at 38 to 40 degrees makes you sweat.  It was hard for me to hand the heat and stay in class so I rested a lot and took the child pose.  Since the class was small with only four students, it didn't really matter what I did.  This was in the beginning when Oxygen Yoga Killarney just opened.  


Now I have been going there for the past three months and it is easy to get attached.  After my free class, I bought the one week for $10 trial and it was easy to use that to try different classes and times and instructors.  Then I continued to buy the $49 introductory unlimited one month pass.  I discovered that going to hot yoga at 6am was a great way to wake up and the class size was always small (less than six students which it continues to be so).   Great news for students the monthly rate is just $65 a month for unlimited classes.  That makes me want to be a student again.  http://oxygentraining.ca/blog/info-for-new-students/




Also I have heard that Oxygen Yoga always has Black Friday sales which is around the corner on November 27th.  I'll keep you up to date on Fitness Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment