Tuesday, January 26, 2016

The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo


I'm been introduced to the Japanese book called "The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up" by Marie Kondo which has sold millions around the world.  I love how it is the ART of decluttering and organizing your home.  This is a totally new way of thinking about decluttering.  Instead of saying how much stuff you are allowed to have, it is about finding "spark" or "joy" in what you have.  I love it! 

I bought the Kindle version of the book and spent the weekend reading half of book (exactly 64% according to Kindle).  It inspired me to try the method with the category that most people do first which is CLOTHES.  So what did I do?

I organized each of my drawers, learned how to fold my socks instead of tying them in a ball which actually saves a lot of space.  I ended up with an extra drawer that I can give to my husband.  I basically dumped each drawer onto my bed and sorted through them.  I held each item and if it didn't spark "joy", I threw it in the donation bag and a few were so worn they went in the trash.  When I held onto my t-shirts from my old workplaces, initially I felt more "longing" for days long gone instead of "joy".  So I thanked those t-shirts for bringing me joy years ago and let them go.  It may sound kind of corny but it actually works.  There is no guilt.  I'm left with clothing that I will not only wear but also that I feel good in.  

In my closet I followed the method in the book which says to start from left to right.  On the left are your dresses (longer pieces) and then go into your slacks, jackets, blouses, and lighter summery items the farthest right.  That's right I said "summery" items.  This is because nothing is packed away or out of season.  Instead they invite you to bring everything out and find a place for it all.  

In the morning I thought I would struggle with what to wear for work but instead it was easier to choose rather than pre-plan my outfits.  What a joy!  

I look forward to sharing with you as I continue to change my life by tidying up the Marie Kondo way!  

No comments:

Post a Comment