Sunday, January 08, 2017

Sunday Funday: Meal Prep Sunday

Meal Prep Sunday is my day to prepare for the week ahead and it can be lots of fun to feel like I'm cooking for a crowd instead of for two.  I love variety in meals and tastes so this is one way to cook a lot because I'm cooking not just for one night but for lunches and the weekday dinners.  Here's what I did last week so you have the menu for when you do #mealprepsunday today!

1.  Broccoli Pesto Pasta - Inspired by this recipe on BBC Good Food.  I omitted pine nuts (since they are too expensive) and added a few tablespoons of pesto with 1/2 lemon squeezed, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil.  

2.  Easy Oven Roasted Baby Red Potatoes  - I love the boiling of the baby potatoes first which shortens the oven roasting time.  Unfortunately my garlic had mold growing on it so I omitted the garlic.  I cut up some baby carrots and threw those in to roast with the baby red potatoes with half a bag of frozen green beans.  

3.  Easy Honey Garlic Chicken - I was inspired by this recipe but my chicken thighs didn't look like the recipe because I didn't follow the recipe.  I seared the chicken in the pan, added 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 2 tablespoons honey and ketchup and cooked that with the chicken before baking it with the oven roasted potatoes.

4.  Breakfast Burrito - Scrambled eggs, breakfast sausage with chopped onion, shredded red potato (from easy oven potatoes), wrap it all in a tortilla and voila it's a breakfast burrito.  




What did I learn from Meal Prep Sunday?

Variety is the key to the meal and makes dinner delicious.  This was enough for dinner for two in addition to 4 lunches, and 4 breakfasts.  I also did two small containers of sliced cucumbers with dip as a healthy snack and to make that four different servings of vegetables.  My goal will be to increase my servings of vegetables and fruit for #mealprepsunday.  

No comments:

Post a Comment